Final Student Reflection
The purpose of this assignment is to:
- Summarize the role of dress and appearance practices in the development of different identities.
- Recognize and differentiate how marginalized communities in the U.S. use dress and appearance practices to express their identities.
- Deconstruct and reflect on one’s attitudes toward marginalized communities in the U.S. and their dress and appearance practices.
- Reflect on one’s progress towards development of empathy related to social justice issues and dress and appearance practices of marginalized communities in the U.S.
- Use this document, and save it as “Final Student Reflect your first and last name.”
- Answer the questions beneath each question below.
- Answer the questions using the instructional materials from the modules in the course where appropriate. Be sure to cite the reading when paraphrasing or using a direct quote. Do not use or reference other sources that refer to similar topics when completing this assignment.
- Keep answers single-spaced, 12-point font, no cover page, use Microsoft word, full sentences, 1” document borders, keep all of the assignment instructions and questions in your document.
- Review the rubric.
- Summarize at least 5 ways that dress and appearance practices play a role in the development of different identities for marginalized communities. Cite relevant readings from relevant modules in AMD 165. Be specific. Every sentence needs an in-text citation.
- When thinking about all of the different intersections of identity (sex, gender, sexuality, body size and shape, facial attractiveness, religion, race, ethnicity, (dis)ability) for different marginalized communities that we covered, what new did you learn in this course about how people fashion their bodies and how that relates to their identities?
- In this course, we learned about different communities that experience oppression or marginalization as related to their dress and appearance practices (e.g. transgender or gender non-conforming people; lesbian, gay, bisexual, or queer people; overweight/fat people; people with disabilities; Muslim women; people of color). Reflect on your development of empathy towards people in these communities. A) Do you feel you like you developed an attitude of understanding for some, all, or none? Why or why not? b) Did your attitudes towards these communities change at all after taking the course? Why or why not?
- Since this is a 100-level one-semester survey course, we covered just a few of the numerous examples within each identity. Is there a community and their dress and appearance practices that you would like to learn more about? Or, what do you want to learn more about in regards to what we learned?
- Describe your field of study or the discipline you plan to go into in the future. Describe how what you learned in this course is relevant to your future career or your role as a person in society.
100 points total
|Meets or exceeds expectations
All parts of questions are answered.
Questions are answered correctly and in accordance with the information presented in the reading.
Answers contain at least two full sentences, contain explanations and examples where appropriate and show synthesis of information in reading when appropriate.
Some parts of the questions are answered.
Questions are mostly answered correctly in accordance with some information presented in the reading.
Answer contains less than two full sentences, contains brief explanation or example and shows little synthesis of information from reading when appropriate.
No or few parts of question answered.
Questions are not answered correctly or in accordance with information presented in the reading.
Answer is short phrases or not complete sentences, contain no explanation or examples and show no or little evidence of information from reading when appropriate.
|Question 1 is complete, correct, and well developed.||15-20 points||9-14 points||0-8 points|
|Question 2 is complete, correct, and well developed.||15-20 points||9-14 points||0-8 points|
|Question 3 is complete, correct, and well developed.||15-20 points||9-14 points||0-8 points|
|Question 4 is complete, correct, and well developed.||15-20 points||9-14 points||0-8 points|
|Question 5 is complete, correct, and well developed.||15-20 points||9-14 points||0-8 points|