Sexuality Case Study
The purpose of this assignment is to:
- Summarize the role of dress and appearance practices in the development of different identities.
- Recognize and differentiate how marginalized communities in the U.S. use dress and appearance practices to express their identities.
- Understand and evaluate social justice issues related to dress and appearance practices of marginalized communities in the U.S.
- Deconstruct and reflect on one’s attitudes toward marginalized communities in the U.S. and their dress and appearance practices.
- Reflect on one’s progress towards development of empathy related to social justice issues and dress and appearance practices of marginalized communities in the U.S.
- Use this document, and save it as “Sexuality Case Study your first and last name”
- Answer the case study questions beneath each question below (meaning keep the question in your assignment sheet).
- Answer the questions using the instructional materials from the Sexuality module. Be sure to cite the reading when paraphrasing or using a direct quote. Do not use or reference other sources that refer to similar topics when completing this assignment.
- Keep answers typed, single spaced, 12-point font, no cover page, use Microsoft word, full sentences, 1” document borders, keep all of the assignment instructions and questions in your document
Case study questions:
First, watch the film Queens and Cowboys: A Straight Year on the Gay Rodeo, which you can stream through ISU’s library here.
Watch the film Do I Sound Gay?, which you can watch on AMD 165’s course reserve page found here.
[note: you are only watching one film]
Second, answer the questions below.
- Using the readings from the Sexuality module: Describe the difference between gender identity and sexual identity. Describe how gender identity can influence how gay, lesbian, or bisexual individual dress or appear?
Identify which film you watched here: [insert film name]
- Describe some of the various styles of the gay men in the film that you watched.
- What are some of the ways that gay men in the film you watched challenged the stereotypes of what gay men look like, how they behave, or other aspects of their gender expression?
- In the film you watched, what types of discrimination did the gay men describe that they experienced?
- Reflect on your attitudes towards lesbian, gay, bisexual, and/or queer people. Then, reflect on their style and what you learned in this module. Were any of your past assumptions challenged? What new did you learn?
100 points total
|Meets or exceeds expectations
All parts of questions are answered.
Questions are answered correctly and in accordance with the information presented in the reading.
Answers contain at least two full sentences, contain explanations and examples where appropriate and show synthesis of information in reading when appropriate.
Some parts of the questions are answered.
Questions are mostly answered correctly in accordance with some information presented in the reading.
Answer contains less than two full sentences, contains brief explanation or example and shows little synthesis of information from reading when appropriate.
No or few parts of question answered.
Questions are not answered correctly or in accordance with information presented in the reading.
Answer is short phrases or not complete sentences, contain no explanation or examples and show no or little evidence of information from reading when appropriate.
|Question 1 is complete, correct, and well developed.||15-20 points||9-14 points||0-8 points|
|Question 2 is complete, correct, and well developed.||15-20 points||9-14 points||0-8 points|
|Question 3 is complete, correct, and well developed.||15-20 points||9-14 points||0-8 points|
|Question 4 is complete, correct, and well developed.||15-20 points||9-14 points||0-8 points|
|Question 5 is complete, correct, and well developed.||15-20 points||9-14 points||0-8 points|