Sex and Gender Assignment
The purpose of this assignment is to:
- Summarize the role of dress and appearance practices in the development of different identities.
- Recognize and differentiate how marginalized communities in the U.S. use dress and appearance practices to express their identities.
- Understand and evaluate social justice issues related to dress and appearance practices of marginalized communities in the U.S.
- Deconstruct and reflect on one’s attitudes toward marginalized communities in the U.S. and their dress and appearance practices.
- Reflect on one’s progress towards development of empathy related to social justice issues and dress and appearance practices of marginalized communities in the U.S.
- Use this document, and save it as “Sex and Gender Case Study your first and last name”
- Answer the case study questions beneath each question below (meaning keep the question in your assignment sheet).
- Answer the questions using the instructional materials from the Sex and Gender unit. Be sure to cite the reading when paraphrasing or using a direct quote using in-text citations. Do not use reference other sources not provided in the module that refer to similar topics when completing this assignment.
- Keep answers typed, single-spaced, 12-point font, no cover page, use Microsoft word, full sentences, 1” document borders, keep all of the assignment instructions and questions in your document
Case study questions:
- What are some of the different garments or objects worn by trans and gender non-conforming people? Be specific and describe what these garments or objects are and why trans and gender non-conforming people wear them.
- Describing some of the challenges faced by transgender individuals related to appearance and dress.
In the culture module, we learned about two different perspectives to understanding culture in the Culture Notes (pgs. 3-4): holistic and ethnocentric. Review the definitions in the notes of these two terms.
- Describe how someone can take a holistic approach to understanding transgender individuals.
- Describe how someone can take an ethnocentric perspective to understanding transgender individuals.
- a) What have you learned new about transgender and gender non-conforming people from this module? b) What other questions do you still have about transgender or gender non-conforming individuals related to their dress, appearance, transition, or identity? c) Reflect on your attitude towards transgender and gender non-conforming individuals.
100 points total
|Meets or exceeds expectations
All parts of questions are answered.
Questions are answered correctly and in accordance with the information presented in the reading.
Answers contain at least two full sentences, contain explanations and examples where appropriate and show synthesis of information in reading when appropriate.
Some parts of the questions are answered.
Questions are mostly answered correctly in accordance with some information presented in the reading.
Answer contains less than two full sentences, contains brief explanation or example and shows little synthesis of information from reading when appropriate.
No or few parts of question answered.
Questions are not answered correctly or in accordance with information presented in the reading.
Answer is short phrases or not complete sentences, contain no explanation or examples and show no or little evidence of information from reading when appropriate.
|Question 1 is complete, correct, and well developed.||15-20 points||9-14 points||0-8 points|
|Question 2 is complete, correct, and well developed.||15-20 points||9-14 points||0-8 points|
|Question 3 is complete, correct, and well developed.||15-20 points||9-14 points||0-8 points|
|Question 4 is complete, correct, and well developed.||15-20 points||9-14 points||0-8 points|
|Question 5 is complete, correct, and well developed.||15-20 points||9-14 points||0-8 points|