There are many different family types (structures) and ways to navigate the complex processes that occur within families. Below are select resources to additional topics that may impact families and children across the world.
Adoption and Foster Care
For additional information concerning parenting within the contexts of adoption and foster care, read these articles on adoption and foster care.
Family Structures and Associated Processes
To learn more about divorce and separation, single parents, step-families, and LGBTQ+ families, read these articles on “types of families.”
Divorce & Separation
- LGBTQ-families-factsheet [pdf]
Grandparents Rearing Grandchildren
- Here is another resource on the topic: Grandparents Raising Grandchildren [pdf]
- U.S. Census data on this topic can be found online: Grandparents and the opioid crisis.
- Information on the intersection between racism and health.
- Talking to kids about racism can be tough. For more information, visit this article with advice for talking about racism and this article for parents addressing racial bias.
Coping in a Pandemic
The CDC also offers information on helping children cope during the pandemic.
An infographic on the effect of poverty on infants and toddlers.
Family Media Plan
The Importance of Family Meal Time
- A video about family relationships.
- The importance of family dinners.
- The benefits of family dinners.
- How to have a healthy family table [pdf]
To learn more, read this article about family rituals.
HPV Vaccine Recommendations (for all genders through age 45 years)
Pornography, Sex Trafficking, and Human Trafficking
- Safeguarding children from pornography.
- The Impact of Pornography on Children [pdf]
- 2018 Statistics from the National Human Trafficking Hotline [pdf]
- Human trafficking in Iowa.
- Recognizing the signs of human trafficking.
A comprehensive list of other topics can be found here.