Good Manufacturing Practices (GMPs)
Lab procedures have been modeled after typical plant GMPs. We will work under GMPs at all times. Do not be surprised by unannounced inspections. You will lose points for GMP violations. Products made not following GMPs will be tagged and possibly discarded.
Good Manufacturing Practices will include, but not limited to, the following:
- Use good judgment when ill or not feeling well…contact the faculty if you are unwell.
- Clean lab coats or chef coats are required.
- You must wear fully enclosed shoes while in the laboratory.
- Hairnets are required and will be provided. Please reuse.
- No chewing gum or chewing tobacco allowed in the lab.
- No outside food or drink may enter the lab stations.
- No loose-fitting jewelry or watches.
- No fingernail polish or fake nails are allowed unless covered with gloves.
- Wash hands with soap and hot water before starting work and as necessary during work.
- Clean and sanitize work surfaces before and after use.
- Use an acceptable cutting board when using knives.
- Be aware of proper food handling temperatures (cooling and heating). Thermometers will be provided.
- Do not allow food to sit at room temperature for more than 2 hours.
- Use a serving spoon for serving and a sampling spoon for tasting.
- If food contacts the floor, it is no longer food grade and must be disposed.
- Food must be covered if removed from the food lab.
- Clean your work area after you are finished for the day.
- Wash and dry all equipment, dishes, and utensils before returning each to the correct storage space.
- Place all trash in proper receptacles.
- Make sure your sink, range top, and work area are clean before you leave.
- Hang wet towels on the drying rack before you leave.
- If you use a laptop with a power cord, make sure the cord is taped down as necessary to avoid a tripping hazard.
- Your area will be checked by a faculty member before you leave.